How long do they lay eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redstarbill, Nov 25, 2008.

1. redstarbill

redstarbill Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    How long will a hen lay eggs? I have read books that say they can lay for up to ten years? just less of them. In the next breath they say get rid of them after 24-36 months. what gives?

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    NO , I know several people that have hens that are 4 . 5 , 6 years old and still lay but not on a regular basis

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hens can lay up to 10 years, but their peak laying time is in the first year. After that first year and beyond, the egg production will drop. Not dramatically at first, but over time you will see less and less eggs from the hen.

If you are only keeping hens for egg production then it would be a good idea to switch them out after 2 to 3 years. Your friend is correct in telling you that. If your hens are pets, then I wouldn't worry about it to much. [​IMG]

4. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:no
    apparently chickens don't even live 10 years, average 7 Ive heard.

i think their egg laying abilities slow down after 4 years or so.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I'm sorry, but that just isn't correct. There have been many a hen that have lived to be the ripe old age of 10 and some even beyond that. It just depends on what care they've received if their owner will allow them to live that long. [​IMG]

6. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    One of my 5 y.o BSL hens lays about 4 eggs a week, and my 4 y.o LS lays on average 6 eggs a week.

My friend has chickens on his farm, and he has one who is 15 years old now [​IMG]

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:I'm sorry, but that just isn't correct. There have been many a hen that have lived to be the ripe old age of 10 and some even beyond that. It just depends on what care they've received if their owner will allow them to live that long. [​IMG]

gumpsgirl is correct. I have had a little bantam hen that lived to be 13. It's all in how they are cared for and what is in their natural makeup.

8. redstarbill

redstarbill Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    This is good to hear, only had my girls 6months and was worried about the future. if they still give me 4 eggs a week I'll be happy. I get 1 a day now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by