how long do they pip?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicksnducks, Oct 14, 2007.

1. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    Two eggs have the beginnings of openings ...it's day 20ish and we already hatched a duck. I think the chicks might be coming. but how long do they pip before they get out???
    They are under Momma Chick....

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

It can take quite a while - sometimes as long as 24 hours. It seems like they zip faster when they're under a broody, though, so maybe it won't be long now.

Lori

3. chicksnducks

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    Sunday morning brought me a cutie little chick that is light brown with dark marks and monday morn brought me another chick who is dark brown with a little lighter head...sorry my pics won't upload .....
    Thank God they are here! There are still five or six more eggs under Momma. Two have started zipping. One is three quarters done and one is just starting....how long will this go on???? It is sooooo exciting!!!!

4. chicksnducks

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    they are not out yet and the membranes are dried on one....do I need to help???

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    That is a tough decision. It is getting late tonight. I usually don't try to help unless no progress has been made for over 6 hours. There is a sticky in this forum that tells how to help if necessary.

6. chicksnducks

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    well sad news...those two that I was waiting on were stinking and they didn't make it. I think they might have needed help but it was too late.....
    there are still 4 more eggs under Momma so I will watch carefully....
    thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by