How long do we leave the mama?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OkapisRule, May 14, 2008.

1. OkapisRule

OkapisRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2007
    Northern georgia
    2 and a half weeks ago, our mama hen hatched babies. We've had them in a cage since them, letting them out during the day, and putting them back in at night. When do we stop this and what do we do when we stop it?

2. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I leave the babies with the hen until she decides it is time. My last go around it was like a switch was turned off and from one day to the other she would have nothing to do with them.

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with Sahara. My broody took 5 weeks before she was ready to leave her peeps. One day she just poked them and asked to be put back with the "big girls". Just walked right over to the main coop run and asked to be let in and never looked back. I've chosen to keep the young ones separate until they are point of lay (around 17-18 weeks). I did try once before of placing younger girls (11-12wks) in with the main laying flock but they really had a hard time & didn't do as well as I'd hoped. I'm also feeding the younger girl a higher protien mash until they are POL so it makes sense to keep them separate if you have the room to do so.
    Good luck on your chickies!

4. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    6 weeks Mothers leave the chicks mother starts laying eggs again

From chicken timeline
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

5. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    I agree