how long do we need the heat lamp?

ImTheRealElly

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
270160_2148466320391_1508328439_2252928_7143325_n.jpg

ihave4 9 day old chicks. they have a lot of feathers, but i dont know when to wean them off the heat.

Last edited:
They will need added heat until they are fully feathered. Downy fuzz does not keep them warm.
smile.png

Quote:
The "rule of thumb" Is, start at 95 deg, drop 5 deg a week till your at outside temp or there feathered or 6 weeks old. I like to cool them quicker than that thou. Say buy 2 weeks old there usually around 80 deg or so. I start with a 60 watt bulb, and end up with a 25 watt party light. Just keep a eye on them and make sure they dont huddle and smother the bottom ones. This time of year, it aint such a big deal... but in cooler times, they need to be feathered good before you shut the heat off. Check under there wing, thats the last spot to get feathered out... Bill

thanks Bill. thats helpful. we have themin a tall box with a heat lamp. in the house. it seems pretty hot in that room. i dont know when we will put them outside. i think the adult quail would peck them.

Quote:
I have never been able to mix different age birds until all were mature. And then it takes putting them all in a different pen or drastic change to the old one, so all the claimed "territories" are changed... If not, there will be blood!!! Bill

we were thinking of putting a divider in the pen. with chicken wire. maybe they would get used to each other that way. we never had baby ones before

3 to 4 weeks or until they get to room temp. by subtracting 5 degrees each week to the heat lamp

Back
Top Bottom