1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

How long do we wait on the eggs to hatch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raisingkidsandchickens, Aug 19, 2011.

1. raisingkidsandchickens

raisingkidsandchickens In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    One of my comets went broody and started setting on a clutch. (we thought they had stopped laying!) We waited and waited for her to give up but she didn't! Since yesterday morning 2 eggs have hatched. [​IMG] The last time I caught her off the nest I counted 19 eggs. I know the others could be laying there too. She is in the coop with 5 other hens, a rooster and a turkey. How long do we wait for the other eggs to hatch? Do we toss the eggs at some point?

When I was checking yesterday the 2 chicks would come out and eat feed but momma wouldn't budge from the nest no matter how hard I coaxed. So I fed her there, again.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Since you have no idea the age of all the eggs, I suppose you could let the hen control how long to wait, but my first reaction is to wait another 2 or 3 days. Next time, I'd mark the eggs when she starts to sit and check every day and take out all that are unmarked.

3. raisingkidsandchickens

raisingkidsandchickens In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    The husband tossed the eggs while I was at work [​IMG] So I guess 2 is it this time.

Momma is staying with the chicks and taking good care of them! [​IMG]

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Aww.. tell hubby to wait next time. They hatch between 18-24 days and often one or two will hatch on like day 19 and the rest days 20 and 21, like that. Good to know she's being a good mommy!!

5. cicichick

cicichick In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    SW Ohio, Miami County
    Next time try candling with a small flashlight. We about gave up on some eggs too and by candling we were able to determine there were chicks inside. It took a couple of tries to get the light just right, but once you do it is so cool to see!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by