How long do we wait on the eggs to hatch?

raisingkidsandchickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
One of my comets went broody and started setting on a clutch. (we thought they had stopped laying!) We waited and waited for her to give up but she didn't! Since yesterday morning 2 eggs have hatched.
celebrate.gif
The last time I caught her off the nest I counted 19 eggs. I know the others could be laying there too. She is in the coop with 5 other hens, a rooster and a turkey. How long do we wait for the other eggs to hatch? Do we toss the eggs at some point?

When I was checking yesterday the 2 chicks would come out and eat feed but momma wouldn't budge from the nest no matter how hard I coaxed. So I fed her there, again.

Since you have no idea the age of all the eggs, I suppose you could let the hen control how long to wait, but my first reaction is to wait another 2 or 3 days. Next time, I'd mark the eggs when she starts to sit and check every day and take out all that are unmarked.

The husband tossed the eggs while I was at work
sad.png
So I guess 2 is it this time.

Momma is staying with the chicks and taking good care of them!
big_smile.png

Aww.. tell hubby to wait next time. They hatch between 18-24 days and often one or two will hatch on like day 19 and the rest days 20 and 21, like that. Good to know she's being a good mommy!!

Next time try candling with a small flashlight. We about gave up on some eggs too and by candling we were able to determine there were chicks inside. It took a couple of tries to get the light just right, but once you do it is so cool to see!

Back
Top Bottom