How long do you keep a sick hen confined?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waghmg, Feb 14, 2012.

1. waghmg

waghmg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    I've been several days now trying to help my hen. She seemed to improve some yesterday, more perky wanted to eat and ate a good bit of soft food because was afraid she had an impacted crop. Something I've probably done wrong because today she is less perky and her crop is more full this morning.

She's been confined in a dog crate since Saturday noon. Had mostly withheld food Saturday and part of Sunday. I'm trying everything suggested and thought she was improving. Today she seems worse.

How long should I keep her in the crate? Must be a drag to be in that thing all day.

Thanks!

2. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    If the hen is really sick, she settles right in and is content to be safe and separate from the others. A sick hen is at risk of being bullied and kept from food and water. A sick hen needs quiet, care and warmth. So, don't worry about the boredom! If she is pacing and nervous, then she's likely well enough to go back. Keeping her separate allows you to monitor food in and manure out - important clues to what is wrong with her. What is her manure like? Any? Firm? Diarrhea? Is she drinking? Is her crop firm or loose? Is she standing up or too weak? Lots to observe and figure out.

3. waghmg

waghmg Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    Thank you....that helps a lot...

Maybe I let her eat too much yesterday, too quickly...Thinking about w/holding her food today again and treating w/olive oil and massage..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by