How long do you keep your chickens in the coop

How big is your coop & how old are your chickens ?
Mine all range in age from about 9 months - 4 yrs. They are only in the coop from night until morning - then out in the run & free range depending on weather. I have 6 chicks that are about 1 wk old - they wont go outside until they are 6 + weeks - then holding pen/ small coop until big enough to go out with the flock :)

Depends on your setup. But once you have an established flock the older ones will teach the younger....especially if you let your chicks be hatched and reared by a broody. Usually only takes 3-5 days for them to now where the coop is. They may need to be chased/coaxed back in the first few times but soon get in the routine.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. It depends to some degree how old your chicks are when they go from the brooder into the coop. I don't move the chicks into the coop until they are well feathered enough to handle the outside temperatures. Then, assuming they are well feathered when I move them into the coop, I usually leave them confined in the coop for a couple of weeks before opening the coop door and letting them wander out of the coop into the enclosed run on their own. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in transitioning your chicks from staying inside the coop to exploring their enclosed run.

P.S. Some owners who free range, let their chicks go directly from the coop to the exposed outdoors, but I strongly recommend having an enclosed run attached to the coop even if you intend to free range, and transitioning them from coop to the run first, before eventually opening the run door and allowing them to go into the wide open outdoors.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with be above posters. It depends on the age. It is imperative that they are fully feathered before they live outside permanently. 8-12 weeks is recomeneded. In the mean time they can go on field trips outside everyday if the weather is between 65 and 85 degrees.

Good luck and glad you joined us!:)

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions from the other posters, good luck with your flock.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. So glad you joined the flock
ya.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You got some good advice above. Enjoy the site!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! You have been give some great advice, so I will just welcome you to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom