1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long do you leave you chicks under lights?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AbigailL, Apr 4, 2012.

1. AbigailL

AbigailL New Egg

Apr 4, 2012
    This is our first year to incubate eggs and the chicks have hatched out. How long do you normally leave your chicks under the heat lamps? Thank You

2. silkielover1731

silkielover1731 Chillin' With My Peeps

after they hatch its usally for weeks but take the temp down 5 degrees every week. sometimes if its really hot i will turn the lamp off and it will just stay warm. dont want the little ones to over heat! [​IMG]

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Typically until the chicks are fully feathered, start out at 95 degrees and loike mentioned above drop the temps 5 degrees per week until they no longer need it depending on what time of year it is and where you are located.

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I usually keep mine in the brooder for about six weeks. Maybe only five if the weather is hot and it's not rainy.

My brooder is outside (under shelter) with only a 65 watt bulb in it. It's warmed up early this year and during the day even that small a bulb is more than they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by