How long do you leave your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BeccaNS, Mar 25, 2017.

1. BeccaNS

BeccaNS Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2017
    What's the longest you have ever left your chickens while you are in vacation?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

One month, several years back, but I had only 40 birds then and someone doing daily care of them.

3. BeccaNS

Mar 22, 2017
    A week would be the most, just trying to figure out how often I need to plan someone to come by to check them

4. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I feel like you need someone to stop by daily, if that's possible.

Nothing is fool proof, and you want to make sure their food and water are accessible, and that the coop/run is secure.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I always have someone checking daily, or twice daily if possible. Friends, neighbors, family; someone. Mary

6. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    My sister-in-law comes by daily to check on the chickens and to collect eggs when we're gone.

I'm glad she does, last summer the string on the auto door broke locking the chickens in, the water is in the run so they had no access to water until she arrived.

7. prinellie

prinellie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    I agree someone should come - I would say twice a day. In the morning to let them out and at night to make sure they are in and safe. Going on vacation with animals is hard! [​IMG]

8. MandyFitch

MandyFitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    We go away all summer. I have three different water sources and someone comes by every other day to refill the feeders, clean the poop boards and make sure all the water sources are working. My girls free range and put themselves to bed at night so they're easy.

Of course, disaster could strike and if the timing was bad, it could be a couple of days before anyone found out. That would be awful but it's the deal we made. They're fat, happy hens who will probably still be happily living out their retirement with me when my 4th grader goes to college!

9. BeccaNS

Mar 22, 2017
    I have no idea how I'm going to handle living ours, they run free in the backyard with the kids most days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by