How long do you leave your Chicks or Chickens alone? Days , weeks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sweetleo3333, Apr 22, 2012.

1. sweetleo3333

sweetleo3333 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    My chick are 3.5 weeks old. I want to go away for a few days but I don't know if I should. How long do you guys leave you chicks or chickens home alone? How much water and feed do u leave them? One problem I run into is I feed them water in a bowl and everyday they (8 Chicks) get the bowl very dirty. If I leave for three days I'm thinking there water will not be drinkable by the third day. Any ideas on how I can keep there water clean for a few days?

2. Gatordog

Gatordog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    It depends of your Coop and run. I have a nice coop and run with 4 different water sources and one feeder. The feed should be fine, the problem is with the water. I tried the water nipples, but that did not work for me. The chickens would not use it, and then the handles would break, so I went with one big waterer and several other waterers. The weird thing is the chickens favorite water source is a empty plastic coffee container(folgers), and since they can not perch on this container it stays poop free. Of course this coffee container is to tall for your young birds, but you could cut them or dig a hole. They also like a dog water bowl, but they can poop in that one.

3. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Even for babies? I would be nervous about leaving a heat lamp on when I'm not there for that long, and if something does happen to the water, they can get dehydrated or get sick from sitting in wet bedding. I would try to find someone to at least check on them for you. [​IMG]

4. sweetleo3333

sweetleo3333 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    I think I will have some one check on them for now and put out a few bowls of water for them to drink. They are growing fast and seem to love swimming in there water bowl. Thank You for the advice. Very helpfull! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by