1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Long Do You Let Your Frozen Turkey Thaw In The Fridge?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by redhen, Nov 17, 2010.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    We'll be getting around a 23-25 lb turkey. Just wondering how long to let it thaw in the fridge before Thanksgiving...
    My mother is telling me a week in the fridge... but..eh... that seems like a long time to let it sit uncooked in the fridge...
    Thanks!

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I usually get about a 20 pounder or so and I always put it into the fridge the Sunday before Thanksgiving. I prep on Wed. night and they're always thawed, sometimes a little ice yet inside but nothing that doesn't just rinse out.

3. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    it's 24 hours for every 5lb. of meat.

btw, I just pulled my 40lb. turkey out of the freezer to place in the fridge to thaw, had to lower the shelf to get it in there

does any body have a huge turkey roasting pan? you know, 24x18?

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Gahhhh! 40lbs!! [​IMG] I know where i'm going for Thanksgiving!
    How do you even fit that sucker in the oven?
    Yeah..i can imagine you not having a pan big enough for him!... I cant even find one big enough a 25lb'er... [​IMG]

5. goldenluver

goldenluver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Springfield, Oregon
    my mom had a pan big enough when I was a kid, wish I knew what happened to it. yes it barely fits in the oven, last year my turkeys weighed 35lbs. I waited to long to process my turkeys this year.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My husband's mother used to buy turkeys at the first sale in the first week of November and stick it in the refigerator until Thanksgiving...give or take two to three weeks sitting there. UGH! Suprisingly, no one got sick but two years ago, her turkey was pink in the middle and they went ahead and ate that. Glad I wasn't there.

A week in the coldest part of the refigerator isn't bad at all for a large turkey.

7. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Our tom ended up being 38lbs. I have a pan (barely!) but need suggestions for times and temp to cook this beast. Any ideas?

8. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually do a 20 pounder and put it in the fridge on Sunday or no later than Monday.

9. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

We did a week in the fridge for a 46 pounder!!

We had to borrow a pan from a neighbor, who had it custuem made!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by