how long do you worry about pasting?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fzouk, Mar 27, 2009.

1. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    This has probably been answered a million times on here but I can't find it... thanks for indulging me! My chicks will be a week old tomorrow and my husband and I just cleaned up several of them. How long is pasting a concern?

Thanks!
    Frances

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I've on ly had 2 chicks with this issue...it last about 2 weeks. Just clean them every day. They'll get over it soon enough

3. fzouk

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    I have 20 chicks- it's hard to see which ones are pasted and which ones are fine, and then when I spot one that's been pasted up he/she vanishes into the crowd. How do you guys keep up with pasty butts when there are so many of them? I know some of you have 60 and more!! Right now I just try and watch and catch them as I can.

Thank you!

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Put a bit of vasiline on the butt and butt feathers to keep poo from sticking. Also make sure they are warm enough and can move away from heat source if to hot. Being to hot or to cold can cause pasty butt.

[​IMG]

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    that's about all you can do. You could try collecting them in a smaller container..inspecting them one by one. That way you know everyone is in good shape. I only have a few in the brooder, but I try to put my hands on each one at least twice a day. My neice is super helpful with this - she's always in there!

6. fzouk

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    Ooh!! Great idea about the vaseline!

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Among the things that can cause pasting are brooder temperature issues and stress. The stress of moving in new chicks from a store/shipping can start it, and if your brooder is too hot or too cool they can also experience this. You are already doing good by cleaning them up, and gently rinsing their bums in warm water is one good way to accomplish this. Gently dabbing with a soft cloth or damp paper towel while the water runs helps. Dry the chick off and pop it back in the brooder.

You probably already know this, but picking the dried droppings off can injure the chick, but I will post it again for folks who might have been told to do this at their friendly farm supply stores.

Check your brooder, in any case - - having a thermometer near the direct range of the heat lamp is a good way to keep track. Chicks up to a week old should be kept around 95, and by now you could get down around 90. Monitoring their behavior is probably the best guideline of all - - if they huddle under the lamp and peep loudly, they could be cold, and if they keep to the perimeter they could be too warm.

I would say pasting should be quite temporary, and it's only a problem if it persists a few more days. Hope that helps. Please keep us posted on how things go! [​IMG]

8. fzouk

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    You are all SO helpful!!! Thank you!

9. tankernav1

tankernav1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    We got our chicks yesterday and they seem fine. I tried to check their little butts but I don't notice anything. I didn't even check today. Temp is running around 93 degrees and they are all over the box. Will I know if there is a problem, or if I don't check, it will be too late? I just figured if they are all eating, drinking, sleeping, and otherwise happy, they will be fine. They seem to be exhibiting very normal behaviors! [​IMG]

10. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    For the first week I change bedding every day to prevent any contamination to the little chicks with poorly developed immune systems. So when we change bedding we pick up each chick to place it in a "holding" box, turn the chick upside down, check butt, feet, wings, anything unusual. So every chick gets handled at least once per day.

And since the brooder is in our home office one of us is almost always in there on a computer or on the phone. So we make it a habit to pick up a chick when we walk in the room, extra socialization and we can check out the chick for any problems.

Once the chicks are two weeks old we have decreased changing bedding to every 3rd day, just add fresh bedding as needed in between. But since the chicks are older and less susceptible to becoming ill (keep hand sanitizer right next to coop at all times from day 1) we hold the chicks while we are sitting around and even invite the older neighbor kids to "come see the chicks!" When we have more than a few chicks it really helps to have extra hands and laps to socialize. I like mine to be friendly, the type that follow us around in the yard and are easy to approach / pick up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by