How long do your rabbits usually take to kindle?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dutchgirl, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    My doe was due to kindle yesterday, the 16th. I know I shouldn't be worried yet, but I am. Her previous litters were always right on time.

She's staying in my bedroom now (because we've had trouble with a snake eating the kits) and I woke up this morning at 3am. She was breathing very strangely -- almost grunting, but very fast-paced, like rabbits breathe. Then, when I got up later, she wasn't looking good. She was stretched out on the cage floor and panting, as if she were very hot. It's only 65 degrees in the house, so that couldn't be the case. She also didn't get up when I opened the cage door, like she normally would. (She's not very friendly.)

When I got home from church she was better. She was sitting in the nestbox, just staring. Later I heard her tearing up cardboard (which, right now, is a good sign.) She hasn't made an attempt to make a nest since Wednesday, her 28th day. She was using newspaper and packing it in a corner. Unfortunately, I think we messed with her a little too much trying to get the nestbox in -- the first one we tried to use wouldn't even fit in her door, and we spent a while trying to make it. (Which I realize now was a huge mistake, because she got upset and gave up making a nest. :he )

Also, when I felt her tummy recently, it felt soft, but there was a sort of tightness (like a swollen womb) in her mid-lower abdomen, so I'm pretty sure there are babies in there. Besides, I'm almost certain the breeding took. We had to mate her twice because she peed right after the first one. I don't think it's likely that she would have done it again.

Anyway, what do you think? Should I be worried, or should I just chill out and wait? Because as it is, I AM worried.

2. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Checked her just a minute ago, and she has lined her box with fur! It's just a matter of time, now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by