How long does a 50 lb bag of food last?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WVChickenFarmer, Aug 4, 2011.

1. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    I'm just curious how long a 50 lb bag lasts everyone. I have 17 chickens and a 50 lb bag of food lasts me maybe a 1 month if I am lucky. My dad acts like I am feeding them to much.

He also has 17 chickens and we both bought a 50 lb bag at the exact same time which was 2 months ago. He told me couple weeks ago he was still feeding from that same bag.
    Well I have bought at least 2 more 50 lbs in last 2 months. He keeps telling me that they only need like 20 oz of food a day. He also lets his free range all day but I do not.

Do you think his might be eating less because they are out free ranging all day, or am I just feeding to much? I don't have like a scoop so I give them like a 45 oz butter container full of food each day.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If his are free ranging, yes, they are finding a good portion of their feed while out and about. If yours have only their feed you give them, they will certainly go through more.

3. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I have over 80 chickens and all but 7 free range. I am going through over 50lbs a week. I have some wasteful chickens in the outdoor run, brooder and Cochin Cage. I sucked up about 15lbs of feed out of the Cochin Cage and about 5lbs out of the brooder today. I was not happy. I also give them table scraps almost daily.

4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Yes, if you free range they would go through less feed. Although we have just a few more birds than you and go through around 50 lbs. per month too. Ours get some free ranging, but it is limited.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    with 50 chickens, most of which free range, I go through roughly 50lb/week, sometimes less. Maybe 3.5 bags a month. [​IMG]

6. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    hmm... I'd say it lasts me about 2 months, but I only have 8 chooks... They must be eating a lot right now because they're just growing so quickly! especially my silkie roo! They're all 18 weeks today. Anyways.. If I have roughly half as many chickens as you, we're going at the same rate! i don't think I'm overfeeding.. mine free-range, but they really don't like to go too far from home so they don't forage as much as they would if they were far away from the food I give them. And I just had a worker from my uncles farm tell me that they're too skinny to lay and I need to fatten them up. But their food is always full so they're eating as much as they want!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    I do let mine out to free range also. But they are not out all day. So I guess I am doing ok on the feed then. They also get cracked corn & some table scraps.

Edit to add mine have not wasted any feed here lately but I also have at least 2 hens laying right now. I think they are eating more then the others.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  8. Ogress

Ogress Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North Bend, WA
    My Coop
    I think how long the bag lasts also depends on the type of food they are given
    I have about 40 chickens of various ages. All my mature birds free-range (18). I go through about 50 pounds of food per week. The food I use is a locally grown organic mash, very powdery, and I think a lot of it gets wasted. When I clean the coop, I find lots of it under the shavings on the floor. When I feed pellets or crumbles, the food lasts almost twice as long.

9. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We have 6 hens that do not free range, they get grass and snacks in the run. Right now a 50lb bag lasts us just over a month. In the colder weather it will be a month or less.

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Our "range" is very burnt up from the hot, dry summer. The food available for them just isn't there. Thus, 17 of my chickens would go through a 50 in far less than a month. Which shows how ranging for additional food is great, but sometimes, there's very little to be had.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by