How long does a 50lb bag of DE last?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by justlearning, Jun 28, 2011.

1. justlearning

justlearning Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    We have 20 birds. (9 meat so will be leaving soon) How long does a 50 lb bag of DE last--and can it go bad? I can get a 5 lb bag of FEED grade (not food grade) from out local farm store for $6 which seems high. All the sights I have found have 50 lb bags but shipping is outragious. Want to know often I would need to be ordering it.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I use mine quite liberally, but I can get a 50# bag for $22-$30 at the feed store. No shipping.

Why not call your feed store and ask them to order you a big bag? Most places here will order whatever you want, if you aren't pressed for time.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I have six chickens and for me it would take forever to use. I bought a 1.5 pound bag for $17 because, even though the 50 pound bag was $30, I wouldn't be using it and I'd have to store it.

4. sammyh312

sammyh312 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    $20.00 per 40 lb. food-grade bag at my feed store, and it lasts me about a month or so with a 12x20 run area and a dozen birds. when the flies and dukey get to be even the slightest issue i spread the DE. it drys out the poop to dust, and two days after application the flies are down to almost nothing. i also thoroughly dust each new bird before they go into the flock, and i go pretty thick with it in their bath areas.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've had my 50lb bag for almost two years now, and have shared it with my brother, and I figure I'll still be using it two years from now. I ordered it from my local feed store...think I paid $30 for it.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:I think I paid $50 for 100lbs about 4 years ago. I have about 10lbs left. I've used it pretty liberally on coops, chickens, dogs, cats, around the bottom of plants in the garden, mixed into feed to keep bugs down.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I need to find DE locally. I'm buying the 5-10 LB bags online. I'm using it sparingly and it's lasting a good 3 months. I add the DE to the coop floor and outside where they take their dirt bath. DE is a must have in my coop. I'm very happy with the product.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    DE can only go bad if it gets wet. Age has nothing to do with it since it is already millions of years old.
    There is no such thing as "feed grade" DE. If it is not labeled "Food Grade" then DO NOT USE it. Check the label.
    With 20 chickens 50# should last you several seasons if not years. Use it wisely. Check all precautions.

9. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So far none of the feed stores here have a clue what I'm even talking about (I've mentioned all the different names) and say they can't get it. DH goes and picks up feed for one of them in other towns so I'm going to write down all the different names and see if he can find any up there. I also tried to find stall dry with no luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by