How long does a Broody stay with chicks?

growinupinfl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Pensacola
My chicks were hatched the first week of November, there were two broody's but one has alright chosen to rejoin the flock. This Cochin is a dedicated mother to her chicks. How old are chicks when most broody's loose interest. The chicks are starting to get to big for her..LOL
53024_hedwig_and_chicks.jpg
Tell me your stories of dedicated Momma hens
Christal

I dont know if it depends on the breed my my silkie momma stayed with her babies till they were old enough to sort out the roos and pullets. we removed the roos and she stayed with the pullets for a few months. the babies just followed her everywhere.

I've had several broodies. One stayed till I moved her out at 8 wks the other only 3 weeks. I think like personalities; each are different. The one I moved out early was laying and obviously irritated by her chicks. If they have plenty of room it helps and also if they can not see the other hens. Gloria Jean

I had 2 hens brood eggs late this year. The first was a TSC sex link pullet and she seemed to lose interest after a few weeks. The other is a White Leghorn and never really seemed to care about the chicks.

The normal (if there is such a thing with chickens) time a hen will stay with her chicks is 6-8 weeks; possibly longer in extremely cold weather. There are exceptions to this rule; for example, an Asil hen will often remain with her chicks for up to 6 months.

You can generalize the answer per each breed. Games of any type tend to make the best mothers; IMO.

Last edited:
My columbian wyandotte bantam stayed with her chick for two and a half months and then was back to being broody on the nest.

she hatched out 2 eggs out of 5 (two rotten, one died) she hatched them out on 10th of December.

Back
Top Bottom