How long does a Golden Comet take to mature?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FowlLanguage, May 26, 2010.

1. FowlLanguage

FowlLanguage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    A time frame or comparison to a Barred Rock would be great.

2. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    hahaha sounds like someone went to the same supply store as me, picked up two BR's one monday, then two GC's that same friday. my BR's are 5 weeks and GC's are 4 weeks, and everyone is outside and doing fine( but im in south GA so its 90 during the day here) as far as size goes, my BR's look larger than the GC's but they are all fluff, weight and development size they are about the same. however, my BR's feathered out MUCH quicker. they are almost completely feathered except for theyre bottoms. while the GC's are feathered except for a small amount of fluff on the head and neck area, and theyre bottoms. also bear in mind that the rock are about a week older then the comets. not sure if it helps, but tis what i can give. if you need pics let me know and ill see what i can come up with in the morning.

3. FowlLanguage

FowlLanguage Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    I doubt that we visit any of the same places, considering our distance. I actually bought some BRs last year and am wondering if they begin laying sooner, later, or about the same time as my lil' GCs.

4. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Quote:They were just joking since you both ended up with the same mix of birds.
    I believe Golden Comets begin to lay around 5-6 months. Barred rocks take a little longer but it is anyone's guess. Either one may take longer or shorter.

5. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    The golden comets will probably start laying a little earlier than the BR's but fully mature at about the same rate. The GC's could start laying as early as 16 weeks but each bird is an individual so only time will tell.

6. bturbo87

bturbo87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    south
    oops i thought we were talking about how long till they can get outside, not lay... sorry got nothing like i said my BR's are 6 weeks and my GC's are 4.5

7. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    My GCs started laying at 17 weeks and all were laying by the end of the 19th week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by