How long does a hen have to sit on eggs before I should use them?

Country Living Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Florida
Ok, Ihave a hen going broody. How long does she have to sit on them before they start to develop. Meaning I do not want to hatch them, but eat them. Does this make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok well if I know your question correctly, as I have been told if you are worried about chicks being developed in them you can grab them within the first 7 days. If it has a chick in them you will be able to candle light see them. So if you grab it before 7 days you should be able to eat them without worrying about a baby being in them.

Quote:
Umm, you can see veining as early as 3 days when candled. Personally I would gather the eggs from her every day, and if she sat on them any longer than that I would feed them to the dogs or throw them out.
sickbyc.gif

Isolate her in a pen like a rabbit hutch, with a wire floor and NO bedding material for a week. If she's broody she should not lay anymore, and the others won't be able to give her eggs to sit on. The air coming under her belly should help break her broodiness.

That is what I do th break my silkie from being broody. I put her in a rabbit cage off the ground and in about three days she is broke. As far as the eggs, That is what I thought I just wanted to hear someone else say it too. I actually think it is 24 hours before they are warm enough to start developing.

Tala and monkeyingaroundfarm Thank you I have heard several days but it nice to know those facts. That is one of my wife's biggest fears to crack and egg and see anything to do with a baby chick being in them.

It's suggested to collect them twice a day if you have a broody. Even if you can't see anything yet they may go bad when put in the fridge because the cells begin to divide within a day at incubating temperatures. If you don't want chicks it's best to break her cause there's no telling how long she will try to sit and it isn't good for their health. Plus all the trouble for you.

Back
Top Bottom