How long does a hen stay broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jim Pryce, May 21, 2011.

1. Jim Pryce

Jim Pryce Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    It's been a week since, she has been broody. I have been taking the eggs from her daily, & she's been sitting on nothing but a golf ball.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They don't lay when they are broody, in my experience. Maybe she is stealing eggs from another nest. Yes they CARRY eggs from another place.

I have had one Buff Orpington set for several weeks on fake eggs. Then I finally thought about removing the fake eggs [​IMG] and she stopped a few days later.

My Welsummer (who went broody) sat for 2 weeks before I entrusted some precious breeder silkie eggs to her, and she hatched them out beautifully.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine don't usually give up until 5 or 6 weeks, and I've had them stay broody longer.

Besides their habit of stealing eggs, another hen will sometimes squeeze in with a broody and lay in the same nest. I usually know who is laying which egg, and I've never had a broody lay an egg that I know of.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have one that breaks out of being broody long enough to molt and then goes back to being broody. It's pretty much been a life long condition for her, and she is 4 years old at this point.

Except...

this year I wanted her to hatch some eggs for me. And wouldn't you know it- she isn't broody for the first time in her life. It figures. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by