How long does a hen stay broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by feathers_3, May 22, 2012.

1. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chirping

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    My hen just started being broody 2 or 3 days ago. I really want to try to hatch eggs this way but I just got chicks from my uncle and will have too many if I allow her to set. I get the eggs from under her everyday but how long will she stay broody?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Some hens will stay broody for weeks and weeks. Why don't you just give her say, 3 eggs to hatch? Then she'll get it out of her system. I had a broody once that stayed broody for 2 months. We tried everything. She drove me crazy. Eventually I just gave up and gave her some eggs.

3. MichaelaO

MichaelaO Hatching

May 22, 2012
    Hi, I am new here and maybe this has already been explained many times but I am too wondering how long can it take till this time is over? As I dont want to let her hatch little ones and I wish she could just get over it and continue to lay eggs. HOW LONG CAN IT TAKE? and i think it is normal this time that they loose so many feathers and get this kind of bump on her chest, that looks a bit like cancer, how someone else described it before? I wish I could do something to bring her back to normal again but not even our 4 kids are able to bring her back to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: