How long does a hen stay fertile from a breeding?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigdog, Mar 5, 2008.

1. bigdog

bigdog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I teach middle school science at a suburban school and am having difficulty keeping a rooster that crows at the school to breed to the hens I have there. It was quite a concession getting permission to have any chickens there. How long after I remove the rooster will I still get fertile eggs? I figure if I bring him in for conjugal visits after school now and then it might work. Thanks [​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    About 2 weeks but some have experienced longer. I really wish I could do a hatch at my daughter's school. So far no go. Good luck with your program. The kids will never forget it.

3. bigdog

bigdog Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I've been doing it for years and the kids LOVE it. I just wanted to try it with "our own" eggs - thanx for the information. So far no one has complained about the noise as he has been fairly quiet.

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Hey- Miss Prissy?? Can that fertile time frame vary with breed or something?? Chook's have been fertile an awful long time. . . .

5. Hi!
    I'd say 2 weeks is about right.
    I lost the roo in my Silkie pen last month and the eggs were still fertile for the following 15 days.

I think bringing the roo to 'visit' once a week or so is a GREAT idea [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

After a good set of breeding, the female will be reliably fertile for 2 weeks, maybe 3, possibly longer but the viability of the sperm will decrease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by