How long does a mated Hen remain fertile?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by HowieNZ, Aug 2, 2014.

1. HowieNZ

HowieNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Question for the more knowledgeable than I. If a hen has been mated by a particular Roo, lets say they were together several days and one had seen them mate daily, if that hen is then separated, how many days afterwards before she starts laying fertile eggs and how many days is she likely to continue to lay fertile eggs? Thanks HowieNZ

2. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Her eggs can be fertile up to a month. After the first week the fertility goes down.

3. HowieNZ

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Thanks for that, so to maintain optimum fertility, the she should be mated at least once a week if I understand your reply correctly.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

7 days for sure, but I've always been told with quail that it can be up to two weeks. Research of chickens shows that they can remain fertile for 30 days and they are in the same scientific family as chickens so it is entirely possible that it will last a month. I've found no good research done on quail on this subject.

If she is covered once a week that should be enough keep in mind separating and re integrating them back together won't be all ice cream and peaches. Once you remove a bird for a few days and try to put it back, the other bird typically considers it an interloper and will usually attack.

5. HowieNZ

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    I asked because I have in mind specific breeding of certain birds in my flock to get the best chance of right fertile eggs. Thanks[​IMG]

6. Quail Jailer

Quail Jailer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Howie, I too would consider her covered seven days at a stretch.

7. abbadackerygirl

abbadackerygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2012
    Ft. Hood, Texas
    Thanks for the information; I had the same question about a week ago in my head; you read my mind!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by