1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long does a molt last?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wifezilla, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My Indian Runner (Chrissy) is molting. How long does it typically take for a Runner to complete a molt? (I figure the molt is why she isn't laying eggs yet.)

2. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    I don't know about runners, but the female pekin I had before the raccoon got her and her brothers this last Spring, I never she was going thru a molt other than by all the feathers I saw here and there inside their house. I never saw any bare spots on them.

3. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, Chrissy has no bare spots, but every time she preens and every time she flaps her wings after getting out of the pool, feathers fly. My back yard looks like there was a pillow fight in it. She has only lost a few long feathers. Most appear to have come off her chest. If new ones are coming in like they are supposed to, she shouldn't look bald....not that you would think that by how my yard looks...LOL

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    my fawn and white runner seemed to molt for maybe a week and a half? two tops maybe? And there were tons of feathers... now my brown runner only molted like three feathers... lol... go figure... You should try cleaning up feathers in the house... My ducks are known as the spoiled brats of BYC, and they hated being outside when they were molting.... My sunroom it connected to my house so the feathers flew all over my front room... I think there's still feathers behind the TV. lol

5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have picked up the bigger feathers and I am putting them in a bag. I figure once I get enough I can put them on craigslist and offer to trade the feathers to someone who makes fly fishing lures for some worms for the girls [​IMG]

The little downy fluff, however...LOL

I can see how you would still have feathers behind the TV [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  6. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

My muscovies take about two weeks, depending on their size.

7. imfowl

imfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Louisiana
    After about 2 weeks you will notice them not losing anymore feathers. I have never seen a bald spot on my ducks while they were molting. You will just notice that it looks like a pillow exploded in your yard.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You will see new feathers coming in on the wings when they are done. Ducks don't molt like chickens. They never lose all their feathers and run around naked.
    The flight feathers are the best indicator of a molt, besides the feathers all over the place.

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My husband just noticed the feathers all over the yard last night. It is even worse today. I need to take a picture. The funniest part is when Chrissy is walking around with loose fluff all over her beak. It looks like she is eating cotton candy [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  10. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    lol, my runner would eat that fluff... i think he thought it was cotton candy. lol... Is her pattern changing at all from what you can tell? It seemed my fawn/white runner got darker and his pattern changed a bit...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by