How long does an EE lay on average?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stone_family3, Oct 6, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I want to add a few more laying hens. Chicks take to long and the only place in central ohio that I've found them is charging $12 a 3-4 month old. I did find one lady selling 3 year olds for $3 each (lady says they're still laying). Worth while investment?

Do they still have some laying days ahead? How often do they go broody? I know I could always just plop some eggs under her. I don't have a brooder so mama hen would need to do all the work.

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Chickens lay every 24-36 hours. The older they get the less they lay. They''ll give you double yolkers from time to time...Nice surprise but one less egg in the hens cycle to produce. I know a lot of folks cull them @ 2yrs. of age. They say the older the bird the tougher the meat and fewer eggs, so 2 seems like the prime age. Can't tell you any more, some one more knowledgeable will reply.

3. Eggs-quisite Eggs-cursion

Eggs-quisite Eggs-cursion Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Quote:I'm confused by the questions. Which are the Easter Eggers? The 3 year olds? I've got a 2 1/2 year old Easter Egger that is still laying, but not right now as she's molting. And she was laying very well all summer.

If those were my only choices (some 3-4 month year old or some 3 year olds), I would go with the 3-4 month old chickens. $12 is a fair price. You could always go to look at them and then pull out a $50 for five of them and offer that at first. Might be worth a try if you can do it without offending the seller. But, really, they've put a lot of work in them and you don't have to buy them as chicks for $3-4 each and then brood them so that's saved you some work. They're going to be laying soon, most likely, except some of my Easter Eggs take 7 months to start laying. However, it would be something I'd risk. Most chickens during their pullet year lay their first winter and that's what you want, it sounds like.

The 3 year olds are probably molting right now and probably won't start laying again until after Christmas (the solstice) and maybe not until Feb or Mar depending on how cold it gets there and your latitude (light levels). They wouldn't be a good investment to me, especially if I needed eggs through the winter.

How often do which birds go broody? I'm not sure about your question. Easter Eggers rarely go broody.

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:I'm confused by the questions. Which are the Easter Eggers? The 3 year olds? I've got a 2 1/2 year old Easter Egger that is still laying, but not right now as she's molting. And she was laying very well all summer.

If those were my only choices (some 3-4 month year old or some 3 year olds), I would go with the 3-4 month old chickens. $12 is a fair price. You could always go to look at them and then pull out a $50 for five of them and offer that at first. Might be worth a try if you can do it without offending the seller. But, really, they've put a lot of work in them and you don't have to buy them as chicks for $3-4 each and then brood them so that's saved you some work. They're going to be laying soon, most likely, except some of my Easter Eggs take 7 months to start laying. However, it would be something I'd risk. Most chickens during their pullet year lay their first winter and that's what you want, it sounds like.

The 3 year olds are probably molting right now and probably won't start laying again until after Christmas (the solstice) and maybe not until Feb or Mar depending on how cold it gets there and your latitude (light levels). They wouldn't be a good investment to me, especially if I needed eggs through the winter.

How often do which birds go broody? I'm not sure about your question. Easter Eggers rarely go broody.

Only birds I'm inquiring about are Easter Eggers. Thanks for your info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by