how long does broody care for chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OHhappychicks, Jul 31, 2011.

1. OHhappychicks

OHhappychicks Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    As this is my first experience with broody hens and their brood, I was wondering how long does a hen take care of her chicks? I have several chicks that are about 5-6 wks old. One of the broodies doesn't seem to worry if her chick strays far. Her chick chirps and chirps most of the day. I go out to check on it and it is fine, momma just not around close. Just wondering if they "wean" them, so to speak.[​IMG] Hope this is in the right post!

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    It has been my experience that momma hen will keep a watchful eye on her chicks until she decides to sleep on the roost again. She will show them how to get up on the roost and then motherhood pretty much ends. The babes will still try to get under her wings, but will wane with time.

3. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    That is what the 1 broody is doing. Actual just this eve, she is on the roost with the chick. I have 1 more broody with 3 chicks. Someone is taking the chicks on tues.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Probably 4-6 weeks is the average, from what I've read, and in my limited experience.

How old are the 3 that are being picked up? Broodies tend to get very upset when their chicks are removed before they stop mothering and return to the roost.

5. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    dshappychicks
    Great question !! [​IMG] I was wondering the same thing [​IMG]. I have had chickens for about 2 1/2 yrs. and I just had a RIR go broody on me. I bought a dozen different kinds of eggs from a friend . this Tuesday will be day # 21 [​IMG]

K8tieCat and ddawn
    Thanks for your answers. they were helpful [​IMG] PLEASE don't go away !!! I will have questions in the next weeek or two [​IMG] So should I leave the chicks with momma or put them in a box with heat lamp??? I will have momma in a separate coop. when Can I let her and the babies outside? Can I let the rest of my flock out at the same time? I have nine girls that are around 2 yrs. old and nine that are 18 weeks old.
    Thanks for your time

6. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Generally they will mother them for 5-6 weeks, it sounds like your baby chick isnt ready for it though. I wouldn't worry, the baby will get over it in a few days, I know that the peeping may be a little distressing but it should stop in a day or two! Good Luck! [​IMG]

RonB, I'll PM you with an answer to your questions, don't want to hijack the OP! [​IMG]

7. OHhappychicks

May 2, 2009
    Hillsboro,OH
    Quote:All of them are 5-6 wks old. I think I mentioned I had 3 broodies, but the other day a kitten injured one of the chicks. This was the only chick of one of the broodies. She clucked around for about an hour looking for it, then she went about her business. That eve I put her in with the chick, and she just ignored it. The chick died in the nite. The other broodie is a banty. She has 3 chicks. I believe hers are the same age or very close to it. They were all sitting on eggs at the same time and I think they all hatched within a week.

And thank you for all for your replies!

8. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:Our 7 week old chick will now seek our arms for cuddling, now that her broody nanny has gone to the roost with the flock, so it worked out pretty well for us. What I wanted in the first place was a nice pet chicken, so that's what I got! She's a little lonely and easily convinced we're good enough to cuddle with instead of her usual chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by