how long does broody want chick around?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flowerchicks, Jul 22, 2010.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I have a 3 week old silkie/d'uccle that was hatched by my silkie/cochin. We fenced a corner of the run so they wouldn't be bothered by the other chickens, and she has been a great mom. But, the last 2 days, she has been flying over the 2 ft fence and leaving the baby freaking out. Is this about the time mom leaves baby? I don't want to let the baby out cause I know the other chickens will go after it. I am afraid my broody will try to defend it and get ripped up by my 2 main chickens who aren't afraid of her "stink eye", and are much bigger. I was thinking of putting my 2 silkie chicks (20 wks old) in with it to keep the baby company, and hopefully give it a "flock" to hang out with when it grows up. Any suggestions?

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    My hens were done with mothering around 5-6 weeks. What I noticed is instead of calling chicks over to eat some tasty tidbit she found, she'd actually peck her chicks away from food.

Your hen sounds like she's doing something different, though. Where is she going when she flies out of the pen? She may not be done with mothering, but just may be trying to lead her chick out to someplace else.

I'd be very careful putting a 3 week old chick with 20 week old chicks. That's a pretty big difference in age/size.

3. NC29mom

NC29mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Scotland Neck, NC
    Amazing as it sounds, we put our 2-3 week chicks (5) in with a 6 and 8 week chick. The 8 week chick is much bigger, a rooster no doubt. Funny thing is, ALL the chicks crowd around the 8 week rooster like he is their mother. He is very sweet, doesn't peck them or attack or anything. He's very accepting of their spastic behaviors. Has been an experience to watch. The rooster's daddy is much the same, quite the protector of his flock, not mean at all. I must admit, we were very scared at first.

Only you know YOUR chickens. Not all are the same, so it's hard to give you good advice, you know? Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!

4. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I think she is trying to show the baby around, they get use of the whole run when all the big chickens are in the big yard. After she gets out, she wants back in but can't figure out how to do it.

I wouldn't normally consider putting a 3 wk old chick in with 20 wk old chicks, but my silkie cockerel is afraid of shadows and blowing leaves, so I know he wouldn't hurt the baby (he still acts like a baby himself). I was going to watch and make sure his girlfriend, a black silkie, didn't go after the baby, but they are free ranging with mamma and baby when the other chickens aren't around and won't go near them. I want the baby to eventually go with (assuming its a pullet) this silkie cockerel and not my mean silkie roo, so I want them to get used to each other.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My hens all seem to desert babies at about 5 weeks, then I let them free range with the rest. I have huge Brahma boys but they are great with chicks and call them over for food (particularly alpha male Dark Brahma) who behaves towards them as he does towards 'his' hens. (Not all chickens are like that with chicks, though),

sandie

6. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I have 3 broodies with babies and one of the silkies has 5. She has been jumping up on the roosts the last few nights. The other silkie has all the chicks under her. They hatched the week of the 4th so they're only a few weeks old. She seems to tend to them during the day...but now won't sleep on the floor with them at night. I've put her back down there and she hops right back up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by