how long does hatching last?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kasey08, Jul 8, 2010.

1. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    its been at least 8 hours since i notced them be pipped (i think thats the word) when its a little hole..... and they havent done anything since all alive.... whats going on?

2. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    I have heard of them taking at least 24hours. It could be a humidity problem, the membrane will stick to them and they won't zip if its to dry. Good luck.

3. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    yeah i was afraid of that so i added a bowel of water....can there be to much?

4. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    this is my first time and with an old incubater...

5. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    Yes there can be to much. I believe the goal is 65% during lockdown/hatch.

6. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    its been at 80???

7. Bloomie

Bloomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Rural Nevada
    Quote:My recent experience with both too dry and too wet has taught me to listen carefully to the chirping.
    Both times the eggs were rocking and chirping, without any pipping tho.
    Had I been quicker to respond I may have been able to help them get out alive by pipping the shell for them and getting them out.
    Not enough humidity can cause a stuck chick and too much can drown them in the shell.
    A bowl of water at the pipping stage I'm not sure about the consequences.

Theres two sides to helping....some say never some say always.
    I reckon you'll have to decide if you want to help the pipping chicks or not.

I read here on BYC about a chick that was stuck, and alive, being helped out with a VERY CAREFUL misting of warm water on the membrane, and peeling back of the shell.
    It sure sounds like a delicate process to me, and I would be very cautious!

Its heartbreaking to see the chick come sooooooo close to life only to be stuck or drowned inside the shell.
    Hope someone has a solution for ya.

8. snaphu

snaphu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    hi kasey08! [​IMG]

this is my first time incubating and hatching! I've got my first "pip" just a couple of hours ago! I have 14 eggs going, and my humidity says 80%!!! sounds like we have similar situations! I'm a nervous wreck!!! I even had my incubator unplugged the other night by accident, I woke up and the temperature had gone down to 75 degrees!
    [​IMG]

9. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    well i ended up helping them late last night....they all ended up dieing anyways [​IMG] i'm going to try it all again and next time not helping at all no matter what...

10. Bloomie

Bloomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Rural Nevada
    Quote:I'm sorry ya had to go thru that experience. I know how heart wrenchin' it is.
    Sometimes the chicks dont make it because of some messup on the outside that we caint control, like a power outage...... sometimes nature just takes its course no matter how much effort we put into doin' everything "right".

Hope the next time brings success!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by