1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long does hen lay fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I got a ee on saturday, she has been living with a roo, but now she does not. How long will she lay eggs that are fertile

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It can be up to 2 weeks.

3. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    If worried about eating fertile eggs can eat fertile eggs. If wanting to hatch fertile eggs sometimes up to 4 weeks, but waiting that long you will be risking trying to hatch infertile eggs I wouldnt go much past the 2 week point just to be sure your not wasting your time, also depends when last time Roo did the dance with hen before she came to your coop it may have been a couple of weeks so they may already be non fertile.

4. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    She is an EE and we got her on saturday the december 22, 07. and has laid every day since. I believe that the roo did get her cause her tail feathers are completely gone. I read that easter egers lay three times a week. so far every day since she has been here. I compared eggs with my hen who I know is still a virgin (good girl) and her eggs has a little white dot in the yolk, and the ee's egg did not have one. I was planning on just letting her lay and see what happens.
    Is it true that they will lay every day if they are firtile than stop and sit on her eggs and lay anymore till we get chicks. I live in Riverside ca. Just to let you know what the weather is like.

5. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    they will lay an egg each day thier body tells them too with or without the rooster. She will only stop laying if Mother Nature is telling her to go broady, again they will/can go broody with or without a roo present. And they will sit on infertile eggs/ golf balls rocks, if thier body tell them to they will sit.

6. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I read that Easter eggers lay only three eggs a week. That is all that I am getting from my brown leg horn who started laying last week.
    How many eggs does an ee lay a week if I am wrong?

7. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    they are crossbreeds so it would depend what the cross is. could be 3-6 a week.

8. OHbluecoop

OHbluecoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    Wauseon Ohio
    Hi I have a sister who is a vet - she says 28 days is how long a chicken egg stays fertile after the roo fertilized her!

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It can vary how long the hen can stay fertile. For best hatches, you don't want to go beyond 3 weeks. It can go longer or less as it depends on how well the sperm can stay alive in the pouch in the hen. Fresh roo deposits are the best though, and if you switch roosters, you want to wait at least 3 weeks before getting eggs that are fertilized by the new roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by