How Long Does Hen Need To Be Away From Roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barry Natchitoches, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    Right now, I have silver, buff and wheaten ameraucana hens mixed together, living with a buff Ameraucana roo.

So about half of the eggs that come from their nests will produce full blooded buff Ameraucanas, while the other half will be barnyard mixes.

I have a bachelor pad where I have a silver cockerel and a wheaten cockerel living. I kept them for breeding purposes, to mate with their own kind if I ever wanted to so so. The silver and wheaten cockerels do not have any female companionship.

Say I wanted to get a few full blooded silver ameraucanas. Obviously I would have to pull my three silver ameraucana hens out of the main ameraucana henhouse and put them in with the silver cockerel.

But since this rearrangement would cause big problems in the overall management of my hen compound, I am wondering just how long I would have to relocate these silvers in order for them to produce mostly or completely nothing but fertile silver ameraucana eggs?

A week? Two weeks? A month?

2. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    i think its a week

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Three weeks minimum. Four weeks to be certain. Roo semen is reported on BYC to last up to 3 weeks in the hen's system although the fertility rate may go down as the days go by.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Quote:3 weeks, but most folks wait 4 to be 100% sure.

Matt

5. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    wow was i wrong! dont liston to me [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    they'reHISchickens :

Three weeks minimum. Four weeks to be certain. Roo semen is reported on BYC to last up to 3 weeks in the hen's system although the fertility rate may go down as the days go by.

Right on the money.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by