how long does it take a cochin to be full grown?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stone_family3, Dec 13, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Luna is 9ish months old and only about 5ish lbs. Is this normal for a cochin? She's also not laying yet.

2. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    It seems like it take tem a year and a half to grow LOL

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Do they lay longer than most hens? I honestly didn't do my breed research since she was a freebie. While I like her and she's cute, she's also not doing her job and I want to keep production up and 12 is my limit.

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    When I use to raise cochins they wouldn't start laying before they are like 10 months to 1 yr old. And then of course they were more broody then laying after that lol. As for size cochins do that a good year to reach full mature size most of the time.

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    All 3 of my hatchery cochins started laying at 5-6 months. I also had one go broody at 6 months too.

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone, here she is next to our mini lop/NZ mix bunny who and the cage is a small cage.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I'm also going to guess that show/non-hatchery quality cochins may have poorer production due to focus on body traits and not productivity. If she's a hatchery chick, you can probably expect her to lay as good as a cochin will lay. I have also heard that they go broody a lot, so she may not ever be a reliable layer for you.

On the plus side, LF cochins are huge and I'm guessing make for a GREAT roast!!! [​IMG]

8. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:I'm assuming she's hatchery quality since the previous owner who freebied her to me said she got her at tractor supply. If she decides to spend most of her time broody I won't be that upset since she'd probably be better at hatching eggs than me. Unfortunately she's just not done much to earn her keep [​IMG]

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Quote:Not really, they're mostly fluff. Plus by the time they get full size, they're too tough to be anything other than soup!

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Interesting. I didn't realize they took so long to mature. My cochins are hitting 20 weeks old this weekend. No laying yet of course, but they are quite large. Not full grown though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have one that is a couple of months older. She is molting, and hasn't started laying yet.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by