1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long does it take a respiratory illness to travel amongst flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StephanieD, Apr 10, 2011.

1. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    How long does it take for an unidentified upper respiratory illness to travel from one bird to another?

Days?
    Weeks?
    Months?

I have one hen who died yesterday, she had been coughing for about 2 months. No one else is showing symptoms.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Are you sure hers was a respiratory infection?
    A lot of these RIs show up in times of stress, so it could be that you have a bird that is infected, but it won't surface until the bird is under stress.
    Good luck to you and your birds and I hope noone else gets sick!

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I just noticed the "sneezies" going around about 10 days ago, first one hen then right on down the line with most of them within a day or two. I started putting vitamins in their water to boost their immune system to help them get over whatever was the problem. And I don't think it was just dusty late winter coop conditions as the sneezes sounded wet, not the dry kind. I noticed yesterday that there is far less sneezing, no one sounds as congested (there was never any discharge) and seem to be on the mend. Since I have never had sick chickens ever, I hope this is the end of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by