How long does it take before they start laying again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lucy4, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Lucy4

Lucy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

My ameraucanas never stopped laying. I had on a light 2 hours in the morning to supplement; they did fine with that. My orpingtons, however, stopped laying a few weeks back. I put the light on for 14 hours a week ago, but no change. Is that it for the winter? Or will they start laying again shortly?

Thanks.

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Hi bygones! Have your Orpingtons perhaps begun to molt? If so, this could account for the stop in egg production - if you add some extra protein to their diets for a while (boiled eggs, cat food, calf manna are some options for this) that may help jump-start production again after a molt. Some chickens do stop laying in the winter, so if they're otherwise healthy, I'd wait for them to begin laying again in the spring. Good luck!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My buttercup and my BR both quit laying for 1-2 weeks BEFORE I saw them losing feathers. Then they started losing them so quickly it looked like a pillow fight gone really bad in my coop.

So maybe they are getting ready to molt?

4. Lucy4

Thanks to you both for responding!

I don't know about the molting. They don't look like they are, though perhaps they're preparing to. I had thought (mistakenly?) that chickens don't molt in their first year. My girls are 9 months old.

I'll add a little protein just for the heck of it. I'm glad the ameraucanas are still laying though, or my husband would be annoyed. [​IMG] He only likes the chickens for that one reason!!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My 2 pullets that are molting are only 9 months old as well. So it is possible.

6. Lucy4

Esme layed yesterday afternoon. First egg from her in 3 weeks. So I guess it was the lack of light. We'll see what happens with Rosie.

I feel a little badly... I know I'm messing with nature. Does it have any ill effects on their health to add artificial light during the day?

7. RiverBendPol

RiverBendPol Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    MY Buff Orps are molting and not laying. They have light and heat. I'm so bummed, I HATE buying eggs! Have you guys seen these little videos? They are hysterical. My girls look a whole lot better than the ones featured in the films so I guess we're still OK.
    Happy Holidays to one and all-
    Praying for Eggs

http://threeswinginchicks.blogspot.com/2009/01/chicken-sweaters.html

8. CityClucks

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Quote:I believe that chickens that get 12-14 hours of daylight per day, natural or supplemental, suffer no ill effects - they still get plenty of rest. A few hours of extra light during the winter won't hurt them.

9. j.mart.40

j.mart.40 New Egg

Sep 4, 2009
    yes, what is molting all about. my pullets are about four months old, one or two of them are laying eggs aonce a day. another question what make chickens lay bigger eggs! what kind of food do they need to do that.[​IMG]

10. CityClucks

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    j.mart.40 :

yes, what is molting all about. my pullets are about four months old, one or two of them are laying eggs aonce a day. another question what make chickens lay bigger eggs! what kind of food do they need to do that.[​IMG]

Eggs from pullets just starting to lay are very often noticeably smaller - but don't worry - they'll get bigger in a few weeks, just give it time. Size of egg depends on the breed, too.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by