How long does it take for a chick to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks & Dip, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Chicks & Dip

Chicks & Dip Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2009
    Gunter, TX
    I have 3 pips, but how long total does it take, from pip to chick.

2. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    There's no solid answer for that. I've had some hatch within an hour after the first pip and some take almost 24. The best thing to do is just sit on your hands and wait for it.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Rarely do I have a chick hatch within a few hours but it does happen. What is more usual in the hatches I've had were 12-24 hours, but some have even taken 72 hours! They probably pipped too early and sat for a while finishing adsorbing their yolk.

4. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    It really can take a long time from that first pip. Just sit and wait withut opening the incubator so humidity and heat stay correct and they come out on their own time (that's the hard part for me!)

5. Chicks & Dip

Sep 11, 2009
    Gunter, TX
    4 pips. 5 cheeping. 1 left. 1 died. [​IMG]

6. Chicks & Dip

Sep 11, 2009
    Gunter, TX
    4 chicks, 2 peeping!

7. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I've had everything from one that pipped and zipped in 20 minutes (he came exploding out of that shell), to one that took 24 hours.

8. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    same here- lots take several hours- I get worried if I see a pip and nothing happens for 24 hours. Some pip and pop out in just a few hours. I think alot depends on how strong the chick is, and if it is perfect position in the egg. Also the shape of the egg probably helps some, and hinders other. I put a long skinny egg in the incubator last run- and was curious how it would do. It hatched when I was not looking...

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by