How long does it take for a Tom to mature

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Bestchickens, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Bestchickens

Bestchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2012
    How long does it take for a Tom to mature because I just started getting eggs from my white hen and they are a few months old and I want to hatch out some chicks.

2. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Does white hen mean its a factory bird? (Broad breasted)
    If so, and the tom is one also, you will not be getting any thing to hatch unless you are practicing artificial insemination.

3. Bestchickens

Bestchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2012
    I don't know what they are. I got them from coastal farma and ranch and the card just said white turkey.

4. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    If they are only a few months old then they are broad breasted.
    They can't breed by them self because they have been hybridized for fast growth and large breast.
    Sorry.
    You are best to just eat the eggs.

5. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    One way to tell if they are Heritage, or BB is the price. If you bought it as a poult and paid $8-10 each, more then likely they are heritage, if you paid 4-6 there is a good chance it is a BB turkeys.
    But if it is just a few months old, and pretty much full grown, then it is most likely a BBW.

6. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Can you post a picture with something to compare it to, like say a 5 gallon bucket? With an egg laying BB hen(about 6 months old) putting a large HERITAGE turkey tom over her will produce fertile eggs. Heritage breed turkey hens will not start laying eggs until they are 8 to 9 months old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by