How long does it take for calcium to get into the egg shells?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmerKEN, Jun 18, 2010.

1. farmerKEN

farmerKEN Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Western Mass
    My girls have layer pellets mixed with 20% crumbles and free choice oyster shell. They don't seem that into the oyster shell and have started laying thin shelled eggs. One cracked this morning and they ate it.
    I mixed oyster shell with some sour cream for them in order for their calcium intake to go up, but how many days will it be until the egg shells get thicker?

(edits for spelling)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I'd expect it to take one to two weeks, after they start eating the oyster shell, before you start seeing better quality eggshells.

3. ISSOLA

ISSOLA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    North Shore, MA
    It took one day of calcium (oyster shells), for a fragile egg-layer I have to have better egg shell hardness.

There is grit with calcium added to it available. The chickens would take grit. But it is kinda expensive.

You may need to switch your layer pellet brand if the shells continue to be inadequate. Different brands have different calcium content. Layer pellet calcium should be good enough.

I have 4 chickens, and 3 always have strong shells, and one is a fragile eggshell layer. So there probably is a genetic component to poor egg shell strength.

4. farmerKEN

farmerKEN Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Western Mass
    So the day after I got them to eat the oyster shell the eggs shells were nice and thick again, so maybe it only takes a day or it was coincidental.

5. ChickenFamilyof5

ChickenFamilyof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2009
    Meaford
    We were the same the next day they had nice hard shell again.

6. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    I did the oyster shell and sour cream to day they hated it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by