How long does it take for chicks to dry off?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by playswithfowl, Feb 23, 2008.

1. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I was wondering how long it takes them to dry off after they hatch?
    Thanks, AJ
    (p.s. I have three hatched out and about four others already pipped!!!!)

[​IMG]:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2008
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    24 hours

YAY! on the hatch

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It can take several hours to get dry. Leave them in for a good while to get completely dry and warm and to be up running around before moving them to a brooder.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Your chicks can live up to 3 days in your bator before they need food and water...its good to keep the bator closed so the rest will hatch out.....it takes 24 hours or so for them to fluff and get some energy to them...they have been in a egg shell for 21 days and its hard pipping out plus they need the rest and warmth of the bator right now...they also help by peeping to the others to break free from their shells...

5. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I try to leave my chicks in until they are dry and fluffy. If they get too rambunctious and start knocking the other eggs around I take them out and move them into the brooder. Just make sure the brooder is warm and draft free.

6. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    5 to 6 hours for mine

7. ktjay34

ktjay34 New Egg

Jul 22, 2013
    Nebraska
    I was wondering too. My first and only chick so far hatched at 11:00 last night he looks good and was moving around but I am assumeing he went to sleep when the house went dark. Its 6:00 a.m. and he still looks wet...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by