How long does it take for ducks to internally pip?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
I've been googling this over and over but I can't find the right answer for internal pips, only external pips. This is my first time with duck eggs so I have no experience whatsoever. I have 5 duck eggs in the bator, they're on day 28, and I candled today to find that 4 out of 5 are pushing the membrane. No bills out just push-push. How long until they get through?
I don't know what the humidity is. The incubator didn't come with a hygrometer so I figure I didn't need one if I just follow the directions. So both trays are filled and I filled them with warm water. One of the eggs has been pushing the membrane since yesterday, wouldn't it be through and externally pipping yet? That's the only part that has me worried. Especially since most of my chicken eggs didn't make it. Only 2 out of 9 eggs hatched, the rest died early or never broke through the internal membrane. My first time with an incubator though, not everything is going to go great anyways.
I think the breed of the duck has something to do with hatching right? The ones in the bator are crested mutts, runner/crested or rouen/crested. I already know about the fatal gene which is why I only breed crested to non-crested. Also the temp is 99.5-100. The first two weeks it was 98, low I know. But the last week I got the temp up to where it needed to be and it didn't go over like it did during the first week.
I'm really hoping my duckies hatch. :(

I was wondering the same thing. Except, it has been 37 hrs since I candled them, and only one was pushing at the membrane, the rest were just playing around. So, how long did it take? Did any hatch?

I have 5 Indian Runners that are doing the same thing. I've been trying to find any suggestions of what I can do to help with no luck :( Hope they all make it soon.

Yeah, it's been 49 hrs and I still haven't heard anything. I'm kinda worried it's not gonna hatch. Although, I think I see a few more trying to get through the membrane. I didn't candle them, but if I put the flashlight in a certain spot, I can kinda see the air cells. I'm hoping for the best :D

That's what I've been doing candling while they are in the incubator. Can't hear any peeping but tons of movement in there.

Back
Top Bottom