1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long does it take for lice to die?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SebrightLuver, Sep 16, 2011.

1. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I have a hen who is ALWAYS broody, she disappeared a few weeks ago and I found her nest yesterday full of rotten eggs. I brought her back to the coop and found her CRAWLING with lice. I dusted her completely and added her to the flock again. Tomorrow I'm going to a sale where I hope to sell her, but I don't want to infest any other birds with lice. Since I dusted her yesterday evening, will she be ok for tomorrow morning? I can dust her again today if that will help, and tomorrow morning before I leave. I'll probably dust them all before I leave just to make sure.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The lice eggs will hatch out in a couple of weeks or so and she will be infested again unless the new owners retreat with dust in a couple of weeks as per ohioline:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

If it were me I'd either wait 2 weeks to sell her or make sure to tell the new owner that they MUST redust her in order to prevent reinfestation. Otherwise, a nasty surprise awaits! [​IMG]

3. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] alright then, I'll wait

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:[​IMG] alright then, I'll wait

I feel your pain - I wanted to sell some chickens too but now they have worms. I have to treat them and wait.

5. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Oooh, that would be an unpleasant surprise. Not only would the purchaser not buy from you again, but word would get spread around about your lousy flock! Even if it isn't true. I know you are doing the right thing, just making an observation should anyone decide to sell some infected birds before taking care of it completely. You know how bad news gets around a lot quicker than good news does. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by