How long does it take for quail eggs to hatch under a broody chicken ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickencrazy999, Aug 8, 2013.

1. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    hello, I have 14 coturnix quail eggs under a bantam and it is now day 12 and was wondering when they are going to hatch ?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If the eggs are fertile and alive, they should hatch on day 17, +/- a day or two.

3. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Have you done this before? I'm wondering if the hen would make it too hot for the quail eggs. Also watch them very closely after hatching. I have researched this with the intention of doing the same thing and I learned that very often a hen will pick up and throw the quail chicks to the side because she doesn't recognise them as her chicks. Hopefully this won't be an issue for you and I'd love to learn how you get along in a few days whilst they are hatching. Good luck.

4. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hello, All Good New's 9 out of well 14 eggs except two went missing so out of 12 eggs hatched yesterday evening and are all doing well except she did stand on one of them and it got crushed and died so that would of been 10 but 1 dead I will keep you guy's updated :)

5. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Congratulations. Where do you keep them? If they are outside in a coop and two went missing I would keep an eye out for rats. Its a shame about the one that got stood on but hopefully it'll only be a few hours before the chicks are able to jump out of the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by