1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long does it take for the eggs to get big?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Feb 6, 2012.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    My 33 week leghorn layed her first egg today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO excited, I've been waiting forever!
    She layed the most adorable little pullet egg :). Not a fart egg, but still very little. I'm not impatient- I love her little eggs, I was just wondering how long it would take for them to get big. Are WL prone to laying double yolkers, also? [​IMG]

2. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Anybody?

3. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Oh, and how long does it take a hen to lay an egg, from when she gets in the nesting box, to when she getrs out?

4. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Your eggs will probably get slowly bigger as weeks pass. Sometimes you may not notice a difference at first, but trust me, you eventually will. One of my two ISA Browns went from laying pretty small pullet eggs to eggs big enough to hold two yolks(they never have though)!
    As for the process of the hen coming into the nest box, laying, and leaving, is probably about 30 minutes, but it differs widely from hen to hen. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

5. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    Hi, My 6 White leghorn hens started laying small eggs at about 24 weeks. They are jumbo now 4 months later, with beautiful yellow orange yolks. I am now waiting for my Rir's to lay, to compare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by