How long does it take for the girls to figure out the ramp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vjbakke, May 12, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We have a ramp the goes down to the ground outside the coop door to their inclosed run. They will not go near it. We have been taking them out of the coop and placing them in the run. I know they need to learn to use the ramp to leave and enter the coop. We've tried treats, didn't really do much. They are 5 and 6 weeks old. Any tips? Just leave the door open to the ramp and let them figure it out? They loved being outside.

2. zaijian

zaijian New Egg

May 3, 2011
    I would say just let them figure it out. But I'm a newbie, so hopefully someone with more experience will help.

3. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

I think they would eventually figure it out. Maybe you could "blaze the trail" with scratch? [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They are afraid of just about everything at that age. At 14 weeks, they will own that ramp.
    Just be sure it is realistic in pitch and the cross bars are quite close together. Too steep and they'll just fly up and down. It should be two feet in length for every one foot in rise.

5. minichic

minichic Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I put my girls out in their coop at 6 weeks. First time they saw the ramp they balked. But just as curiosity killed the cat, one of them took the plunge. The rest followed shortly thereafter. I screwed strips of wood across the ramp about every 6 inches to minimize the "sliding down the ramp" effect and that seemed to help. Now when I open the coop door in the morning, they pop right out.

6. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Due to incredibly high heat in Chicagoland these past three days and nights, my 6wk old chicks had no choice about the ramp! They've been in their coop since we got 'em at 5wks - but the weather was so cold and rainy, they simply stayed indoors...I didn't open the pop door.

I opened the door and they all FREAKED! We left them alone for 20min watching nearby - no one took the 'plunge' to come out (they'd gone outside in a plastic play kennel, so they knew what outside was). So after a bit, my sons (12 and 10) got impatient and went into the coop to get 'em out. Some ran away from the kids, and down the ramp, some flew and a few got to be 'helped' by the kids. They all figured out how to go back up that same day (it was hot!) and now, three days later, it's not a problem any longer.

The second morning, I put a treat at the bottom of the ramp, they'll likely come faster - ours love love love yogurt. Big 'ol dish of yogurt got some of the chicks down the ramp super quick! Then, when the others heard the food interest, they had to come also.

Ours even went back up the ramp last night ahead of a nasty thunderstorm. I found them all in the coop, huddled together, waiting for the storm to pass! Cute!

7. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    The last time they were out some were climbing up part way. I know they will figure it out.

8. vjbakke

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Fred's Hens :

They are afraid of just about everything at that age. At 14 weeks, they will own that ramp.
    Just be sure it is realistic in pitch and the cross bars are quite close together. Too steep and they'll just fly up and down. It should be two feet in length for every one foot in rise.

By that our ramp would have to be 6 ft long! Our ramp is about 4 ft long. The opening to the run is about 2 1/2 feet off the ground.​

9. wychickenwrangler

wychickenwrangler Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    I had the same delima, so what I did, was take each one of them individually, set them down on the ramp about halfway up to the chicken door, and basically herded them into the coop. My 5 year old daughter thought that it was great fun & it took only two times each. We had to do the same thing for going down the ramp. It seems to have worked great. They now come & go as they please.

10. maclady

maclady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Lost in Space
    One thing you might consider is that the bars on the ramp for footing are to far apart. My girls didn't like the ramp either cause they slid some between the bars coming down. I added a few more inbetween and they suddenly had no issues. Either way though your chicks will figure it out eventually. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by