How long does it take for them to lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BLaBauve, Jan 27, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Today I tired to watch my RIR lay an egg. After about half an hour I gave up. She would lay on the nest and then re-situate, get up, eat bedding, lay back down, but no egg. Does it just depend on the chicken?

Just curious!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It takes roughly 26 hrs. to produce an egg. If you know what time an egg was laid one day, go out about an hour later the next.

3. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I might not have been clear. What I mean is, how long does it actually take for the chicken once in their nest, to lay the egg?

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh goodness. I have a few hens that jump in, drop the egg and leave. I have others that take their sweet time and sit half the day. They hang out, clucking softly to themselves or their neighbors, play with the hay, enjoy the feeling of warm eggs under them, etc....
    Every egg "dropping" I've witnessed has been purely by accident.

5. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Haha! Well the only one that I've seen lay took her sweet time! I even thought she went to sleep for a little while. Thanks for the reply!

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have to laugh at my girls sometimes. They get in the nest box, get situated, cackle, growl, arrange the hay, etc. and then jump out of the nest box, run outside singing at the top of their lungs and then run back into the coop and start the process all over again. Like Gritsar said, sometimes they make an all day affair out of laying an egg.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh, my Jezebel is the funniest. She's a talker, as in non-stop. She walks around talking to herself all day. Egg laying for her is an 4 hour event at the very least. There's been several times when I was sure there was a massacre going on in the coop because of all the noise. It always turns out to be Jezebel, in the nestbox, not another hen in sight and she's hollering at the top of her lungs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by