How Long Does it Take Tail Feathers to Gow Back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ClareScifi, Feb 22, 2015.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Had a very close call yesterday afternoon. I was sick in bed and asked T to do the chicken chores for me. He came back ashen-faced. Tons of white feathers in the yard, and our neighbor had seen an escaped obnoxious yappy dog harassing one of our hens in his basement apartment window well. No sign of a body or blood but a huge amount of feathers everywhere. I was sure my girl was a goner. I finally found my precious Ishtar Aurorabelle wedged in a woodpile surrounded by a ...tree of thick thorns. What a smart girl! She had escaped that horrible canine's clutches! She was in shock but was okay, otherwise, minus her beautiful blue tail feathers. I can't believe how enterprising she was to seek shelter in such a safe spot! Whew. Can anyone tell me how long it generally takes for a hen's tail feathers to grow back? She is 10 months old. Time to get that roof on the run. Her Banty stepmother taught her how to fly out of the ten feet tall chicken run, and I fear that horrible loud dog will be back. I'm so glad I was able to find her before sundown. It was cold last night. She is on her nest, laying an egg right now, so I hope everything is okay with her. I am fixing her a treat of scrambled eggs. She is my hen who is the reverse coloring of our rooster. He is gold with blue lace, and Ishtar Aurorabelle is blue with gold lace-- a beauty queen. This is the first time in 5 years of chicken farming that we have ever had such a close call. I hate yappy little dogs. Anything else I should be worried about, regarding her attack?

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    45 to 60 days to get new feathers in. Up dietary protein a bit.

3. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    TThanks so much for the info, Centrarchid! She loves to pilfer cat food. That should help? And I'll try to give her scrambled eggs frequently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by