how long does it take to lay an egg ? and other confused questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jkm, Oct 27, 2007.

1. jkm

jkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    I have four girls, two started laying two weeks ago, ( one barred , one buff)
    I am getting two eggs a day.
    How long should they sit in the nest box? it seemed like the barred sat for an hour today, the buff at least thirty minutes.

How many eggs a day should I get from 2 barred rocks and 2 buffs?
    the eggs I am getting from the two I know are laying are now nice, meduim sized eggs.

2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Mine sit from half an hour to 2 hours sometimes, depends on what kinda mood they are in that day, I think.
    Mrs. Nezbit is paticularly leisurely about laying, she's the one more likely to take over an hour; she's also top in pecking order.

3. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    Perhaps you could provide them with a news paper or a few good romance novels, how about one with Fabio on the cover. Girls like that stuff right?

4. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Thanks for the post, I have wondered that myself. Some of my girls seem to take forever.......................

5. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    "Nichole77
    Re: how long does it take to lay an egg ? and other confused questionsPerhaps you could provide them with a news paper or a few good romance novels, how about one with Fabio on the cover. Girls like that stuff right?"

LOL!!!! Maybe they can get the nails done too on those pterydactyl looking toes! [​IMG]

6. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Same w/ ours. Sometimes they squirt that puppy out lickity split, other times it's over an hour. Either way I get to hear a good cackle afterwards. Love that sound. Bok bok boooooooookkkkkk!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by