1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long does it take to lay an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raymondjames, Mar 11, 2012.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    hi. how long does it take to lay an egg? As in, going in to the nesting box and taking (x) minutes until she leaves and I can collect. google gives me answers like "April-October" as in months. I want to know the minutes it takes for the egg to come out of the hen's (whatever)... thanks...

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Can be a few minutes, can be hours. Hours.

3. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I had the same question as you. What I am observing that it varies a lot by individual hen. Some literally take hours, others go in and out and you wouldn't even have noticed it if they didn't sing their song.

I think there is probably not one answer to this, but it'd be interesting to hear what other people's experiences are. My chickens are only now starting to lay, they are about 6 months old.

4. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I have one hen who goes into the nest, never says a work, lays her egg in a few minutes and is out. Then I have others who will sit on the nest for 2 or 3 hours yelling their heads off and finally lay her egg.
    So its a hen by hen thing.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK

x2

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

7. Lapaysannefarm

Lapaysannefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Virginia
    Once there was a hen laying in our little egg hatch, and I picked her up to check if there were eggs under her, and she layed an egg in my hand!

8. slabcrappy

slabcrappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Orchard Park, NY
    X4

Yummy!

9. PamDanSCoops

PamDanSCoops New Egg

Nov 15, 2013
    My Buff Orpington lays one a day and each day in a different nest box. The eggs are a nice size coming from a newbie at egg laying, she just started a week ago! her sister hasn't laid any eggs yet. My 5 1/2 month old Banties aren't even thinking of laying yet.

10. RockMomma

RockMomma New Egg

May 14, 2014
    I'm a new Momma.... I'm glad to hear this....My girl took an hour today. Shes 6 months old. My boy has been glued to her ever since we got her. He is the one cackling and singing when she goes to lay. He never leaves her. It's sweet. She makes a B line to the water when finished....And stands in it!!!!! I'm learning their routines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by