How long does it take to make a broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Happy Chooks, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My light brahma girl scared the crud out of me over a week ago, but she seemed to get over her moodiness. Now I'm finding that when she's on the nest she screeches at any of the other chickens that come in the coop. She kind of pulls her neck down and gets that pissy glare on her face. She's fussing around, almost rolling her body in the nest (including moving her wings around) then she settles down for a bit, then back to moving around again. She tucks the eggs (her egg that she lays, 2 fake eggs and a golf ball) under her.

The past few days she's been on the nest for a few hours, then off like nothing ever happened. So how long will it take for her to be fully broody?[​IMG] I wouldn't mind hatching out some babies. [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    She may never go full on broody.
    I have a few brahma hens that get all prissy when they are on the nest and some that like to sit for hours. None have ever gone full on broody.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Well that stinks.

DH says he doesn't want to do the incubator thing because then you have to use the heat lamp. He wants a la natural. So I've already decided that if I don't get a broody, next spring I'm gonna get myself a cochin. Then he'll have no choice, heh heh. That will fix him, and I can get more babies.[​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Well that stinks.

DH says he doesn't want to do the incubator thing because then you have to use the heat lamp. He wants a la natural. So I've already decided that if I don't get a broody, next spring I'm gonna get myself a cochin. Then he'll have no choice, heh heh. That will fix him, and I can get more babies.[​IMG]

Yep, I've threatened my hens telling them I'm going to replace them with silkies more than once.
    I have two divas actually stay on the nests for as long as two days, plucked out their breast feathers and everything.
    Then, I dunno, they decided being broody was for the birds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by