how long does it usually take to die

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by galaxyflyer1, Aug 21, 2010.

1. galaxyflyer1

galaxyflyer1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Corona Ca.
    Updated; My hen just died. Thanks everyone for your help.

This is a terrible question but I guess I wanna know just in case I can have hope for a miracle.

The hen I was talking about in earlier posts is just sitting there with her eyes closed. Breathing a bit harder than normal but not panting. I can only force water or food down and that's even tough to do. She started this yesterday. I have her cool in the house. Do they ever snap out of something this bad? I'm anticipating a dead pet in the morning.

If I choose to continue to force feed and water, how often? I don't think she has had a meal for 3 days. I am using a yogurt and scrambled egg mix.

Thanks,
    Bob

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Have you given her antibiotics? What do her droppings look like? Is she eating or drinking ANYthing?

3. galaxyflyer1

galaxyflyer1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Corona Ca.
    I'm so sorry everyone. I have my posts scattered. I posted a message "she pooped" It just happened. Only able to force water with a dropper and that's tough to force her beak open. It all happened yesterday. I thought She was doing better because she drank lots of water and went to roost with the others. But today it got worse and I brought her in the house. Nothing open today for medicine and no chickens doctors around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by