How long does little guy have?

Everose

ɪ ᴀᴍ ᴄʀᴇᴀᴛɪᴏɴ, ʙᴏᴛʜ ʜᴀᴜɴᴛᴇᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴏʟʏ.
Premium Feather Member
Jan 16, 2021
The Great Country of Texas
I went over to a friend's house today to look at her one unhatched egg. The mother hen left it alone for a long time and when I got there it was cold and not responding to tapping. I popped the air cell open on some barbed wire expecting to find a dead chick, and was totally surprised to find a screaming chick alive and well inside.
When I gave it back to momma she started ripping it apart and the egg was bleeding pretty bad. I took it home and wrapped it in a warm wet rag, rubbed coconut oil into the membrane, and put it into a rice cooker on the warm setting since I don't have any incubators unpacked. It's pretty humid and warm but not hot or steamy, so I think it's working. I'm putting a thermometer into it now.
The baby isn't yawning atm but it's also not moving besides steady breathing, does this seem alright to y'all? I don't think the blood vessels have receded completely yet. About how long til it's ready do you think?
IMG_20230502_223043937.jpg

I went over to a friend's house today to look at her one unhatched egg. The mother hen left it alone for a long time and when I got there it was cold and not responding to tapping. I popped the air cell open on some barbed wire expecting to find a dead chick, and was totally surprised to find a screaming chick alive and well inside.
When I gave it back to momma she started ripping it apart and the egg was bleeding pretty bad. I took it home and wrapped it in a warm wet rag, rubbed coconut oil into the membrane, and put it into a rice cooker on the warm setting since I don't have any incubators unpacked. It's pretty humid and warm but not hot or steamy, so I think it's working. I'm putting a thermometer into it now.
The baby isn't yawning atm but it's also not moving besides steady breathing, does this seem alright to y'all? I don't think the blood vessels have receded completely yet. About how long til it's ready do you think?View attachment 3491071
He doesn't at all look close to ready. Did the hen have a lot of eggs? If they have too many sometimes an egg will get pushed to the outer edges and end up way behind.
Is it still actively bleeding at all? I would not wrap it in anything wet, it chills the chick and can actually suck moisture from them.

Is he blinking at all or moving in any way? It might be too late for him sadly, but you never know. Fingers crossed for you guys.

Hello!

I wouldn’t expect it to “hatch”. Unfortunately it looks like the shell was broken quite a bit early, so it probably won’t make it. I’m so sorry 😞.

However, I think it still has a chance, and in order to give it the best possible, I would just leave it until it starts to seem and act ready to hatch. Moving around more, less blood, and absorbed yolk sac. To be totally honest, I would just completely leave it alone and try to let it hatch by itself. Still watch it closely though. Maybe even try to use some candle wax to try and attach a piece of another eggshell over the open part of that egg/chick. Best of luck!

He doesn't at all look close to ready. Did the hen have a lot of eggs? If they have too many sometimes an egg will get pushed to the outer edges and end up way behind.
Is it still actively bleeding at all? I would not wrap it in anything wet, it chills the chick and can actually suck moisture from them.
Yeah she was tiny and had about 20 eggs. I told the owner to candle and remove several eggs but she had no idea how far along they were and they ended up hatching yesterday.
Okay I'll remove the wrapping.
Is he blinking at all or moving in any way?
It will wiggle if I touch it. After popping the air cell open it was very active.
It might be too late for him sadly, but you never know. Fingers crossed for you guys.
I'm hoping little Balut makes it. I feel so bad for starting his eggtopsy before he was even dead😟

Hello!

I wouldn’t expect it to “hatch”. Unfortunately it looks like the shell was broken quite a bit early, so it probably won’t make it. I’m so sorry 😞.

However, I think it still has a chance, and in order to give it the best possible, I would just leave it until it starts to seem and act ready to hatch. Moving around more, less blood, and absorbed yolk sac. To be totally honest, I would just completely leave it alone and try to let it hatch by itself. Still watch it closely though. Maybe even try to use some candle wax to try and attach a piece of another eggshell over the open part of that egg/chick. Best of luck!
I think I'll just oil up a bit of napkin and place it over the exposed part.

93°F and 90% Humidity. It's still warming up more. I wish I hadn't packed up my NR360 :barnie
He got very excited when I rubbed more oil on.

93°F and 90% Humidity. It's still warming up more. I wish I hadn't packed up my NR360 :barnie
He got very excited when I rubbed more oil on.
I'd try to do 97-98 at least and I wouldn't go over 80% humidity.
If he's still bleeding anywhere you can dab a bit of cornstarch on it.

Yeah she was tiny and had about 20 eggs. I told the owner to candle and remove several eggs but she had no idea how far along they were and they ended up hatching yesterday.
Okay I'll remove the wrapping.

It will wiggle if I touch it. After popping the air cell open it was very active.

I'm hoping little Balut makes it. I feel so bad for starting his eggtopsy before he was even dead😟
That'll do it, haha.
Poor guy. I hope so too. If he's moving around he's got a decent chance. Did he ever externally pip before being abandoned?

I've rescued quite a few babies that got injured before hatching. Farmers call me sometimes when they hit duck or pheasant nests and I've had some very close to hatching that got partially crushed. It's really tough to keep them alive long enough but it is possible. I've saved probably half a dozen or so babies that way. Just keeping them warm, humid, and stimulated (gently prodding a bit to keep them alert). Some of them are strong enough to make it through the slow absorbing process and still come out strong and some just aren't.

That'll do it, haha.
Poor guy. I hope so too. If he's moving around he's got a decent chance. Did he ever externally pip before being abandoned?
Nope. After some tapping, candling, and encouragement from mom and 14 siblings I just thought he was dead. He had definitely internally pipped tho, and his membrane was kinda dry.

Back
Top Bottom