how long does meat bird stay under light

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by chick_magnet, Jun 21, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    If i order day old chicks from an hatchery how long do they need to be under a light source. My regular chicks stay there for about 5 to 6 weeks. Does this change when it comes to meat bird since they get dispatch in 8 weeks or so

2. mike67909

mike67909 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Pinckney, Michigan
    i put mine outside at 3 weeks. If the night temps are above 40 degrees then I don't use supplemental heat.

3. chick_magnet

May 25, 2010
    Quote:can i do take for regular birds as well like RIR, black sex link, etc mainly dual purpose bird or just with meat bird

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:can i do take for regular birds as well like RIR, black sex link, etc mainly dual purpose bird or just with meat bird

Cornish chicks will feather out much quicker than any other breed. Unless the weather is really warm, I doubt you could get away with putting DP chicks outside that soon. I have moved Cornish chicks out to the tractor as soon as 2 weeks old.

5. mike67909

mike67909 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Pinckney, Michigan

i don't recomend it for the DP birds i usually go with 5 weeks if the weather is warm for them.

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Chick_Magnet where are you. That is what will determine at what age you can put your chicks outside.

I'm in southern Texas and any chick staying longer than 10 days in this house, well then its the dead of a very cold winter. Course mine go to a brooder house. Not an outside open cage.

Lived in MI and OH and can well understand their answers.

7. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    I've had Delawares and a couple mutts outside (in a small coop) at 3 weeks at a time when it was getting down into the low 40s at night.

8. chick_magnet

May 25, 2010
    i live in southwest tennessee. right now the temperature is 70 at night and 95 during daylight. What should the temperature be for chicks say if i have them April. What temp. should i go by?

9. chick_magnet

May 25, 2010

i don't recomend it for the DP birds i usually go with 5 weeks if the weather is warm for them.

this might be a dumb question but what is dp chick i am new to the backyard chickens

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

DP is Dual Purpose birds (birds that are good for both eggs and meat).

I got my chicks in the mail one week ago today. Last night was their first night outside, and with no heat lamp. The temp got down to about 75*, and is 95* in the daytime hours. They seem just fine this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by