How long does molt last?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by leggomyegg0, Oct 3, 2012.

1. leggomyegg0

leggomyegg0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Robbins
    I am about to give up on these hens and put them in the freezer... It's been 4 months since my 15 month old brahmas started molting and stopped laying...One went broody, and hatched a clutch so I can't hold that against her... but I am about to give up on the rest and put them in the pot... My 8 month old Marans have also stopped but it's only been about a month. Any idea when then drought is going to end?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They should be nearing the end. Have their feathers grown back in completely? Are their combs turning bright red yet or are they still pale and shriveled looking?

3. leggomyegg0

leggomyegg0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    Robbins
    You wanna know what's funny? Today I got my first fresh egg in a month!!! it was a little bloody, but all I can say is "it's about **** time!", cause I didn't wanna eat them, but if it don't lay, it don't stay! And I was just about to throw in the towel! To answer your questions, a few of them don't have as fluffy of a butt as some of the others... but everyone seems to be full combed with good color. My marans have always been in lovely condition... No obvious feather loss, bright combs, and not as consistent in their lay as my Brahmas...laying every other day or so...until they just quit... They still look great, but no eggs. I had been letting them free range, but cooped them the last couple weeks thinking maybe the were laying somewhere besides the coop. Every day I'd go out and everyday no eggs! At least now I have one fresh egg and can look forward to the rest of the hens coming back into production soon. I also bought some Black star chicks, so I'll have a ton of eggs by Mid February

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by